What is it about?
Big Local is an opportunity for residents in 150 specific areas around England to use at least £1m in each area to make a massive and lasting positive difference to their communities. It’s about bringing together all the local talent, ambitions, skills and energy from individuals, groups and organisations who want to make their area an even better place to live.
Big Local is being run by Local Trust, which is working with over £200m from the Big Lottery Fund and a range of partners providing expert advice and support for residents.
The four programme outcomes for Big Local are:
- Communities will be better able to identify local needs and take action in response to them.
- People will have increased skills and confidence, so that they continue to identify and respond to needs in the future.
- The community will make a difference to the needs it prioritises.
- People will feel that their area is an even better place to live.
The main requirement of any Big Local project is that it is community-led. The people who live and work in an area are the people that understand its problems and assets.
What’s it NOT about?
- It’s NOT about your local authority, the government or a national organisation telling you what to do.
- It’s NOT about individual groups fixing their favourite problem without talking to a wide range of different people who live and work in the community.
- It’s NOT about short-term thinking – you’ve got 10 years or more to plan and deliver the best options for your area.
How does it work?
The £1million has already been allocated to Revoe – no application form is required. As long as we can demonstrate that as many people as possible have been consulted and that the Big Local Plan has been developed with the agreement of the community, the money will be made available. However, there is a set ‘Pathway’ that must be followed to ensure that everyone from the area is involved, that all local communities have been consulted and that the local Plan has been properly developed.
The Big Local Pathway:
|Getting people involved||Exploring your Big Local vision||Forming your Big Local partnership||Creating a Big Local Plan||Delivering your Big Local Plan||Collecting the evidence||Reviewing your Plan and Partnership|
The pathway isn’t rigidly linear. We are now working from our second Plan (‘Revoelution Plan 2018-19‘), but getting people involved is still a key part of our activities and we will continue to explore people’s vision of the future of Revoe as we develop future Revoelution plans.
We’d love to hear from you!
If you live or work in Revoe and would like to volunteer, contribute to the Revoelution plans for the area or get involved in any way, please get in touch!
Drop in to Mary Smith House on Ibbison Court, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org